Monday, March 5, 2012

Music Memories: The Early Years

Music Memories  is a series of blog posts that include musical memories and the role that music has played in my life. To see other posts in this series, click here.

The earliest memories of music that I have of music include record players and cassette tape players or maybe the voices of my mom and dad.



Care Bear’s records at my parents house
I remember in kindergarten singing “This Land is My Land” or was it “America the Beautiful”... (maybe both). Mrs. McDougal talked about the lyric about purple mountain majesty and showed us all a picture of the mountains that seemed to be purple. In that class we also listened to records about different personified letters of the alphabet.

I was in a singing group which was called Talent Sprouts for 8 years starting when I was 3 or 4 years old. I remember a couple of songs that we used to sing.

When I was little I remember quite a few Wee Sing cassette tapes. I also remember a few videos that my brother and I used to watch with my cousins, especially Wee Sing in Sillyville and Wee Sing The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

I also probably listened to and sang many songs from the Children’s Songbook, but I don’t have any specific stories or examples.

No comments: