Thursday, February 7, 2008

Positioning Myself

I have been a Public Relations student for a while now. When I tell people and they usually ask, "What do you want to do with that?" My answer seems a little lame; "I'd like to work for an organization in public relations." And the conversation usually ends there. People generally have heard of public relations, but they don't know what someone in public relations does. Sometimes they might think of someone that represents a person or organization that answers questions at a press conference. And if someone is a little more educated they might associate writing press releases. I have to admit that I don't know everything there is to know about public relations. I chose the major because I love to work with people and I figured I would be working with people in a major called Public Relations. The longer I have been involved in the major the more I learn about and love it. The opportunities to be creative really excite me.


I have considered myself a peacemaker and someone that likes to make sure people are happy. Being in public relations gives me a chance to represent an individual or organization that I believe in. I will help people see and understand the value within an organization or individual.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, public relation jobs are increasing quickly, but so are the number of people trying to enter the field. College graduates who are trying to enter the industry have a much higher chance when they have related experience. Careers in public relations are growing especially quickly in technological and other specialized areas. I have set some goals in order to be better prepared to enter and be successful in a career in public relations.

The Public Relations industry is one that is full of niches. It is growing as the internet has made connecting to the public so much more possible and as companies are realizing the importance of their relationships with the public through the internet and other new media venues. My first goal is to become familiar and proficient with different new media (blogs, website design, social networking groups, etc.) My second goal is to build a diverse portfolio of items that will show my proficiency. Then I will display my portfolio and network with others through the internet and face-to-face contacting. During this networking, I will become familiar with different agencies and organizations that will help to find out where my skills and talents will fit the best and where I can do the most good.

No comments: